Civil Litigation Lawyer Mississauga - When a business goes through financial issues, it is vital to choose the correct team to help your business through the essential processes. These may consist of bankruptcies, business restructuring and insolvencies. Our Business Restructuring and Insolvency Group has a wealth of skill in order to help you deal with these situations. Our lawyers are uniquely positioned to offer advice and representation, resulting in strategic, timely and effective solutions.
We work with business enterprises in businesses such as airline, automotive, communications, biomedical, entertainment, construction, funeral, financial services, insurance, healthcare, marketing, manufacturing, steel, mining, technology, retail, real estate and natural resources. Our lawyers can assist you with the complexities of cross-border procedures administered under either Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code or the Canada Companies' Creditors Arrangement ("CCAA"). We have extensive experience with domestic and multi-national business restructurings and reorganizations, whether court-supervised or informal. Insolvency and bankruptcy restructuring legislation in Canada and the U.S. have a similar debtor-in-possession focus; nonetheless, the laws of the two jurisdictions are different enough to need those involved in cross-border proceedings to be knowledgeable concerning both jurisdictions. In recent years our lawyers have advised stakeholders and intermediaries in many of the biggest insolvencies and restructurings under the CCAA, the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act ("BIA") and the Winding-up and Restructuring Act.
Access to the required professionals could be able to help tip the scales in your favour of outcomes that are positive during business restructuring and insolvency. We are able to draw on the knowledge of our skillful members across our global firms within the numerous legal fields handling business reorganizations. Our office has professionals in mergers and acquisitions, banking and securitizations, labour and employment, public and private equity, real property and intellectual property, and governmental relations. In cases of insolvency requiring advocacy before trial and appellate courts, our team provides skilled litigators.
Our services to a wide range of stakeholders comprise the following:
1. We help those financially challenged businesses on the alternatives and options of restructuring, which comprises the creating and directing of formal restructuring procedures under the CCAA and the BIA.
2. In relation to businesses in financial distress, we advise board members and the independent/special committees of public and private corporations.
3. In relation to insolvent business debtors, we advise in the context of cross-border restructuring procedures, to institutional and non-regulated lenders, members of and agents to operational, term, asset-based and second-lien lenders, distressed debt investors, lending syndicates, trust indenture trustees, bondholders, ad hoc and formal noteholders committees, and private equity and hedge fund investors.
4. We advise formal and ad-hoc creditors committees in cases being administered under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code related to cross-border and Canadian restructuring proceedings.
5. We can assist the many secured creditors in the insolvency procedures, about the enforcement of their security, privately and through court-supervised processes and the protections of their interests and rights.
6. We can help trustees through bankruptcy, liquidators, monitors, receivers, construction lien trustees, interim receivers and other court-appointed officers in CCAA procedures. What's more, we can make proposals under the BIA, comprising receiverships and bankruptcies.
7. In relation to defaulting or insolvent debtors, we advise equipment vendors and lessors, contracting third parties, suppliers, and commercial landlords in insolvency and restructuring proceedings and realizations.
8. We can assist the purchasers who are distressed assets or businesses in cases administered under the CCAA and BIA, from the trustees, private or court-appointed receivers.
9. In insolvency proceedings, we assist financial advisors, investment bankers, and other consultants.
10. We offer counsel about different litigation matters arising in the context of bankruptcy, insolvency and business restructuring cases.
11.We can prosecute and defend in preference actions and litigating actions. These may be for the fraudulent conveyance of assets or the acquiring of urgent relief to protect and preserve assets from dissipation, like for instance mareva injunctions, injunctions, and anton pillar orders.
Click to Download the pdf